If you’re a home seller and you’re reading this blog to determine what to do about the counteroffer you received, that means that you received an offer, countered it, and now the buyer has come back with another counteroffer.
Hmm… are you feeling a little put-off by the process, are you getting tired of it and wondering when it will end? Read on!
As was the case with your original counteroffer, you have three options and you’re in complete control of the outcome:
- Accept the counter offer as-is, which will result in an accepted contract;
- Reject the counteroffer and return to the position you were in before the offer/counteroffer process began;
- Counter the counteroffer.
The choice is entirely yours and you should lean heavily on your REALTOR® to guide you through this process. If you plan to make a counteroffer to the buyer’s counteroffer, here are some Do’s and DON’Ts that we think you should consider:
- DON’T take the counteroffer personally, it’s not about you or your home.
- DO govern yourself professionally and with grace, remember, you can still turn this into a sale.
- DON’T get emotional, if you’re not able to hold your emotions in check, walk away and deal with the counteroffer when you have reigned your emotions in and can proceed in a calm, businesslike manner. Remember, despite how you feel, this is a business transaction and you need your whits about you.
- DO work with your REALTOR® to determine creative ways to make your counteroffer attractive to the buyer.
- DON’T forget to ask your REALTOR® to collect as much information as possible about the buyers and to find out what will be needed by them to close the deal.
- DO accept any parts of the counteroffer that you’re able to live with and work to find a middle ground on the ones you simply cannot live with.
Good luck with your sale, remember, stay calm, stay focused and get busy turning lemons to lemonade! You can do this!
That’s it for today’s post, if you want more information on counter offer etiquette, or if you want to stay up to date on all things Anthem, make sure you like our Facebook Page at ‘Wise Move AZ’ or subscribe to our Wise Move AZ channel on YouTube.
Do you have a question you would like us to answer? We want to hear from you; leave us a note in the form below.
Remember, if you or anyone you know is looking to buy or sell their home, please give us a call! It’s always the right time to make a wise move with the Wise Move AZ Team.