If you have been following our Wise Seller blog and video series and in particular, our Staging Series, you know that we have been hitting the interior of your home hard. For this blog we thought it might help if we let up a little bit and took you outdoors for a little fresh air and some breathing room. Stay with us, we’re about to help you turn your yard into an oasis that you’ll be happy to show off without investing a bunch of time, money, or energy into it.
If you think about it logically, your front yard is where you make your first impression on potential buyers. Once your home is officially listed it will hit the internet, you will have a sign in your front yard, and you’ll notice an unusual increase in traffic in front of your home. It’s not at all unusual for potential buyers to do a quick drive-by before they decide if they want to take getting to know your home any further. Yes, this is creepy, but maybe we can help you to get past it by letting you know that each one of those drive-by ‘looky-loos’ is an opportunity that could be lost if they don’t like what they see. Ensuring your front yard is in ship shape is important.
Likewise, your backyard is one of the last places potential buyers will see before they leave your home, we want to help you ensure that this last impression is one that lasts.
Here is what we suggest for your outdoor makeover:
- This just wouldn’t be a true Wise Move AZ Team blog post if we didn’t start the list with “Clean, Clean, Clean”. Thus far all our Staging Series blogs and videos have outlined the importance of making sure that the area is clean. Roll up your sleeves and start picking up, packing or putting away things like gardening tools, loose pool equipment, toys and yard decorations that lack broad appeal. You may love them, bird houses, pink flamingos, gnomes, flags and things of that nature may be gorgeous or even entertaining and funny to you, but they don’t appeal to a large group of people. Your choices are to pack them to move, give or throw them away, or sell them.
- If you use a landscaper, get him or her to trim overgrown plants and be sure to get them to clear the debris that piles up at the base of your plants. It will help to make your yard look and feel cleaner and better maintained. If you don’t use a landscaper, we recommend that you do this yourself. As a bonus, you’ll be happy to know that this will eliminate those nasty places that rats like to hide.
- If you have a water feature, a pool or a spa, make sure it (or they) are clear of debris and algae and that the water is crystal clear. Also, make sure that they are all working properly.
- If you have an irrigation system, make sure it’s working properly and that the water lines are covered. We all love to look at healthy plants, but if potential buyers can see the irrigation system snaking around your yard, it will hold their attention in the wrong places!
- Power wash all surfaces, horizontal and vertical (this means your fence/wall too).
- Create conversation areas with your furniture and remove furniture that is tired and/or old looking. A conversation area can be as simple as a couple of chairs and a small table with a pretty flower pot strategically placed on the table.
- If you haven’t already done so, add potted plants for color.
- Consider the hardware on the outside of your home, are your exterior lights and fans all working properly? How does your hardware (door handles, doorbell etc.) look? Is it all working properly? Consider whether it makes sense to replace hardware and/or to paint your front door or even the exterior of your home.
It’s time to get cracking and get your outdoor staging done, you will be shocked and proud of what you can accomplish in your yard in just a single day!
That’s it for today, if you want more information on outdoor staging, or if you want to stay up to date on all things Anthem, make sure you like our Facebook Page at ‘Wise Move AZ’ or subscribe to our Wise Move AZ channel on YouTube.
Do you have a question you would like us to answer? We want to hear from you; leave us a note in the form below.
Remember, if you or anyone you know is looking to buy or sell their home, please give us a call! It’s always the right time to make a wise move with the Wise Move AZ Team.