Well hello there!
Welcome to the 3rd installment of our Buyer video and blog series: How to Choose your REALTOR® if you’re looking to BUY a home!
If you’re ANYTHING like me, when selecting ANY service provider your number one concern is cost! But guess what home buyers! I’ve got good news for you, the Seller will (typically) be responsible for paying the REALTOR® commissions for both sides of the transaction.
So, now that cost is off the table, here are the 2 most important steps we think you should take!
- Read Reviews/Get Referrals: Just like when you’re shopping on Amazon for the best kitchen gadget, you’re going to want to look at reviews! Reviews can be found online, OR you can get referrals by asking friends and family for their recommendations (or maybe they’ll tell you who they wouldn’t recommend…either way it’s valuable information). We recommend using a combination of the two! And hey, maybe while you’re searching, you find a team of REALTORS® that put out cool YouTube videos and you decide to choose them!
- Set Up Interviews: Once you’ve identified a couple of REALTORS® you would be interested in talking too give them a call, shoot them a text, or send them an email. Communicate with them in a way that works best for you, NOT what you think works best for them. Remember, you’re the client! Let the REALTOR® know that you are interested in purchasing a home and that you are currently in the process of interviewing REALTORS®. The idea of conducting an interview can be scary, so maybe meet for coffee at a nearby spot. Go armed with some questions so you’re clear on what you want to talk about. If you’re not sure what to ask, here are some ideas:
- How long have you been in Real Estate? We’re not saying you should rule out new agents, in fact, new agents bring fresh insight and can be more energetic than seasoned agents, but it’s always good to know!
- How well does the REALTOR® know the market you’re looking to buy in? Does he or she live in and service that area? Have they studied the market trends, and can they apply that information to your unique likes and needs?
- Does the REALTOR® work with a team? Personally, we like working as a team because not only do each of us have different backgrounds and areas of expertise, but between the three of us there is always someone available to meet with our clients and take their calls. Lindsay completely rocks the marketing side and organizes the heck out of us. Ben treats a real estate transaction like a project, he gets things done! Carolynn kills the negotiation process, you will have no doubt that she has nailed the best price for you.
- What is their schedule and when will you be able to get a hold of them?
- Are they going to be available when you need them?
- Ask them what their process is when working with buyers! If you are a first time home buyer, let them know, they may have a different approach.
The REALTOR® you’re interviewing should have lots of questions for you too, which is great!
Alright, now that you’ve done your research and met with your favorite candidates it’s time to make a decision. Maybe it will be obvious to you at this point who you want to choose, but maybe it won’t be. Keep in mind, as a home buyer you will likely spend HOURS riding around with your REALTOR® and seeing a ton of homes, and then when you find the ONE, they are going to help you navigate one of the biggest transactions of your life! We are certain that you will want your REALTOR® be an expert in their field but ALSO someone that you can laugh with, have good conversations with and just generally enjoy their company! It is important that your personalities fit together. The right agent will ensure you feel at ease by taking the time to communicate with you and understand your needs. If you don’t feel completely comfortable – keep looking!
Once you pick the right REALTOR® for you, let them know. They will get to work right away helping you refine your search criteria and identifying properties that might be right for you! We’ll address this part in our next blog so, in the meantime, make sure you like our Facebook Page, Wise Move AZ, or subscribe to our YouTube Channel.
Do you have a question you would like us to answer? Have something awesome that you’d like to share about Anthem? We want to hear from YOU; leave us a note in the form below.
Remember, if you or anyone you know is looking to buy or sell their home, please give us a call! It’s always the right time to make a wise move with the Wise Move AZ Team.