Hi Wise Sellers! Are you wondering how to get your master bedroom ready and staged for impressing buyers? You’ve come to the right place, we’re ready to guide you through what to do to stage your Master Bedroom to sell!
So, let’s be real hear, the people you need to convince to buy your home will ultimately be spending a lot of time in your master bedroom. That makes it an important space in your house!
What most buyers, are looking for in a master bedroom is clean, elegant, clutter free space with an aura of tranquility and plenty of room to breathe. The goal is to get your buyers to imagine your master bedroom as a place to retreat and escape from a long day and to wake in the morning feeling refreshed and ready to take on a new day. To create this atmosphere, here is what we suggest:
- Clean, clean, clean! Cleanliness is imperative, use the same approach with your master bedroom as Lindsay recommended in our staging your bathrooms blog and video, and don’t forget those pesky light fixtures, fans, vents and window coverings, they are all dust magnets and what you don’t see, rest assured your potential buyers will.
- If your walls are already a soft neutral color and are fresh looking you’re good to go, if not, consider painting them in a relaxing, soft, shade of blue, green, beige or gray with an eggshell finish.
- Remove all furniture except for the bed and two night stands, and if your master bedroom is large enough, you may also consider a dresser, and if bigger yet, a small sitting area. It’s a mistake to put so much furniture into your room that your potential buyers cannot move around freely in it. Oh yes, and no hiding stuff under the bed!
- Remove all clutter, start with nothing on the floor except the furniture listed above and completely clear all surfaces including the walls. For some of you it may be painful, but we also recommend removing the TV if you have one in your bedroom.
- Now you’re ready to start “dressing” your master bedroom for showing, here are our suggestions:
- For bedding, our preference is white, hotel type sheets, with a duvet cover or spread and pillow shams. If you cannot do white, choose a soft color that coordinates with the walls. Add four or five throw pillows that coordinate and add a pop of color. Remember, you’re going for the elegant look here.
- For windows, choose coverings that coordinate with the bedding, if you cannot or do not want to cover your windows or add panels, blinds are fine if they are neutral.
- On the side tables (and if you have a seating area with a small table), place one coordinating lamp on each. They don’t need to be a perfect match but do need to look like they belong together. Eclectic is not the look you’re going for in the master bedroom, keep it all mindfully coordinated.
- You may also consider adding some greenery, one large plant in the room if you have space for it, a candle or two, or a book, even a carefully chosen pair of reading glasses on the night stand. Be creative here, but remember, group things in odd numbers, 1, 3 or 5 and if you’ve chosen a book, make sure it’s small and of a non-offensive, and “calming” subject matter such as inspirational messages or poetry. No crime mysteries or mind-bending mathematical texts!
- Keep your walls simple, one or two well-coordinated and well-placed pieces of art should do the trick. Choose pieces that create a sense of tranquility or calmness, such as serene landscapes or waves lapping up on a beautiful sandy beach…you get the point, no wild child rodeo scenes, self-portraits or pictures of you and your family or friends!
When you have a showing, remember to clean and tidy the room, make sure the bed is well made (not tossed together), the windows are clean, and the blinds or other window coverings are open. Shed as much light as possible on your masterpiece master bedroom!
Do you have a question you would like us to answer? We want to hear from you; leave us a note in the form below.
Remember, if you or anyone you know is looking to buy or sell their home, please give us a call! It’s always the right time to make a wise move with the Wise Move AZ Team.